• Co-ordinate operations of all SAR facilities on-scene.
• Carry out the received search action plan or rescue plan from the SMC or plan the search or rescue operation, if no plan is otherwise available.
• Modify the search action or rescue action plan as the situation on-scene dictates
• Co-ordinate on-scene communications.
• Provide relevant information to the other SAR facilities.
• Monitor the performance of other participating facilities.
• Ensure operations are conducted safely, paying particular attention to maintaining safe separations among all facilities, both surface and air.
• Make periodic situation reports (SITREPs) to the SMC. The standard
SITREP format may be found in appendix D. SITREPs should include but
not be limited to:
weather and sea conditions
the results of search to date
any actions taken
any future plans or recommendations.
• Maintain a detailed record of the operation:
on-scene arrival and departure times of SAR facilities, other vessels and aircraft engaged in the operation
track spacing usedsightings and leads reported
• Advise the SMC to release facilities no longer required.
• Report the number and names of survivors to the SMC.
• Provide the SMC with the names and designations of facilities with survivors on board.
• Report which survivors are in each facility.
• Request additional SMC assistance when necessary (for example,medical evacuation of seriously injured survivors)