Merchant Navy Rank "Deck Cadet" or Junior officer belongs to the deck department of merchant ship and is responsible:
- To take part in sea watch and port watch duties under the supervision of a competent officer.
- To take part in operations and maintenance tasks of the vessel under supervision of a competent officer.
- To familiarise himself with all safety equipment/safety procedures on board, regulations and working procedures appropriate to tasks to be executed.
- To execute assigned tasks in conformance with work procedures and/or quality plans as instructed by the Duty Officer or the Chief Officer.
- Diligently follow the structure program of onboard training (SSTP) and complete tasks listed in the cadet training record book or equivalent record book.
- Diligently complete distance learning program, keep training record book up-to-date and complete academic training assignments as required by the nautical college.
- To ensure that work of a hazardous nature is not undertaken without approval, suitable training and under close supervision of the Chief Officer.
- To act as a member of the Shipboard Emergency Response and Fire Fighting Team.
- To carry out ISPS duties in accordance with the vessel Ship Security plan
- Actively seek to learn the duties as applicable for next rank.