* Put on all available waterproof clothing, including gloves, headgear, and life jacket.
* Collect survival kit.
* Note present position.
* Send out MAYDAY message.
* Launch life raft attached to ship.
* Launch dinghy attached to life raft.
* Try to enter life raft directly from the boat (if impossible, use minimal swimming effort to get on board).
* Don't forget the EPIRB (emergency position indicator radio beacon).
* Get a safe distance from the sinking vessel.
* Collect all available flotsam. The most unlikely articles can be adapted for use under survival conditions.
* Keep warm by huddling bodies together. Keep dry, especially your feet.
* Stream a sea anchor.
* Arrange lookout watches.
* Use flares only on skipper's orders when there is a real chance of them being seen.
* Arrange for collecting rainwater. Ration water to maximum one-half quart per person per day, issued in small increments. Do not drink seawater or urine. If water is in short supply, eat only sweets from survival rations.