2ND MATE EXAM ORAL QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS BY CAPT-S-K-DARODKAR - LATEST QUESTIONS
1) Inform to the Master
2) If the 2nd gyrocompass is available, activate it. Otherwise, following measures to be taken.
3) Change over to Hand steering for steering with magnetic compass with applying Compass deviation value with Deviation curve and observation, or to TMC (Transmitting Magnetic Compass) Autopilot, where fitted.
4) Consider effect on other navigational and communication equipment which have a gyro feed especially Radar/ ARPA and ECDIS and enter headings manually.
5) Plot positions more frequently to confirm course made good and accordingly allow correction to course steered. In coastal waters, make good use of parallel indexing technique to keep vessel on charted track.
Also secure True course run (Course made good) by plotting GPS position and verify with Heading of Magnetic compass.
6) Reduce speed if considered necessary.
7) In the meantime, to check Instruction Manual for troubleshooting guide.
8) Inform to the office, to enable to arrange repair at next port
9) Caution pilots at next port, about Gyro unavailability.
Q. 5) What is power failure. you are on watch for 1st time as 3rd off what all actions will you take ?X
Q. 6) You power driven vessel in TSS overtaking another power driven vessel shoal patch what precautions will you take ?X
Q. 7) Drift angle ?X
The horizontal angle between
the axis of a ship and the
tangent to its path.
Q. 8) Transverse thrust ?X