The following entries shall be mandatorily made as per MSA:
a) Record of change of command with the list of certificates taken over.
b) any disciplinary action taken against a crew member either by a tribunal or by the Master, along with the reply of the crew member.
c) Any death occurring on-board, the list of effects of the deceased, the cause of death if ascertained etc.
d) any marriage conducted on board aling with the name and age of both the parties.
e) Any births that may have occurred on board with the name of the parents and the sex of the baby.
f) Any protests that have been lodged and the reason thereto.
g) In case of any accident on board, the details thereof.
h) In case of collision, the details of the other ship(s) involved.
i) In case of any illness of any crew member, its details including the treatment given.
j) Detail of any crew member left behind or deserted.
k) Any other entry considered necessary by the Master.
The complete procedure including checking documents:
A) Company Briefing
1. Letter of Introduction to Master
2. HO/TO Check-list
3. Statutory Certificates & Surveys
4. Crew concerning Documents
5. Cash & Provisions
6. Cargo concerning Documents
7. Trading Certificates
12. Chief Steward/Chief Cook
13. Round with Master
14. MSA 208 Entry in Official Log Book %u2013 Cert & docs
15. Entry in Official Log Book %u2013 Taken over command
16. MSA37 AoA & endorsement in Cert of Registry
17. Inform Owners
A) Firstly I%u2019ll go to the company for briefing as per SMS
1.On Board, I will introduce myself to the outgoing Master with the Letter of Introduction from the company.
2. I will proceed as per company%u2019s Checklist of Handing Over/Taking Over Command%u201C
3. I will check all the %u201CStatutory Certificates for their validity & refer to the Quarterly listing for surveys coming up.
4. I will check & take over the following documents concerning crew:
(i) Articles of Agreement
(ii) Official Log Book
(iii) Deck Log Book
(iv) CDC, Passports, Certificates of Competency, Medical/Health Books
(v) Confidential Reports of officers & Crew
5. I will check and take over CASH & PROVISIONS%u201D concerning documents:
(i) Cash on board
(ii) Cash disbursement & vouchers etc
(iii) Radio accounts
(iv) List of Bonded stores
(v) List of stores & provisions on board
6. I will check & take over the CARGO CONCERNING DOCUMENTS:
(i) Charter Party including special instructions if any
(ii) NOR , Note of Protest
(iii) Bills of Lading (Master%u2019s Copy)
(iv) Stowage Plans
(v) Cargo Manifest and/or shipper%u2019s declaration
(vi) Stability information booklet
(vii) Grain Authorization document (if applicable)
(viii) Chain Register
7. I will check & take over the following TRADING CERTIFICATES:
(i) Certificate of Registry
(ii) Last Port Clearance / Inward / Outward Clearance
(iii) Valid Light House dues
(iv) Medicine Chest Inspection Certificate
(v) Deratting or deratting exemption Certificate (Ship Sanitary Inspection Certificate)
8. Next I will meet C/E and check the following:
(i) Bunker ROB
(ii) Any requirements for the voyage - chemicals, gases
(iii) Oil Record Book (Machinery spaces)
(iv) Condition of Engine Room & Peculiarities if any
9.I will meet the C/O check the following:
(i) FW ROB
(ii) Any requirement(s) for the voyage - Paint etc
(iii) Oil Record Book ( if applicable)
(iv) Condition of cargo, cargo gear & general maintenance
(v) Stability of the vessel
10. I will meet the Second Officer & check the following:
(i) Charts & status of their update (Last Notices to Mariners received)
(ii) Nautical Publications & their updating status
(iii) Medicine Chest & hospitals
(iv) Navigation Equipments & their maintenance status
(v) Manoeuvering Booklet
(vi) Any requirements for the voyage
11. I will meet the 3/O and check the following:
(i) Condition of LSA & FFA
(ii) Updated Muster List
(iii) Any requirements for the voyage
12. I will meet the Chief Steward/Chief Cook & check the following:
(i) Condition of Galley & Meat Room
(ii) Provisions & Bonded stores on board
(iii) Any requirements for the voyage
13. Next I will take a round with outgoing Master on deck, accommodate as well as the Engine room checking the condition, maintenance and cleanliness of various areas.
14. As per MSA 208, I will make an entry in the Official Log Book of all certificates including stability information (reqd as per MSA 298) taken over & same signed by both the Masters
15. Also, I will make an entry in the Official Log Book & Deck log book stating that the vessel lies safely afloat at the time of handing over/taking over at mentioned place with ROB-cash, FO, FW & drafts F & A. This entry is to be signed by both the Masters.
16. As per MSA 37, I will go with Articles of Agreement (if there is any crew change) and certificate of registry to Principal Officer MMD or Indian Consular office to get my name entered in Certificate of Registry.
Note - As per M.S. Notice 16 of 2002 -
henceforth there is no need for Master to be present in person to effect the changes. In lieu, shipowner / shipmanager / operator may submit an application in duplicate for recording change of Master, to the Registrar, where the ship was registered along with the prescribed fee of Rs.250. The application may be forwarded by post or in person along with enclosures in accordance with instructions given in the application form. Specimen copy of the application format is enclosed for reference.
Upon receipt of the application form and the prescribed fee, the Registrar will record the change of Master in the application at the prescribed place and return a copy of such endorsement to the applicant. Such copy of endorsement should be forwarded to the vessel within one month from the date of change of command and shall be attached to the Certificate of Registry as a proof of endorsement of change of command.
17. Finally, on taking over, I will inform the Owners of the same.